Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pineapple Chilli Crab

Yesterday I was already planning what to cook today.  Suddenly have the urge to eat crab.  I used to cook crab my mum's style (more dry type) so thinking maybe it's good that I try to cook it with more gravy type like Singapore Chilli Crab yet I want it to be slightly different from what is available outside so I added Pineapple and didn't use as much Ketchup as them!

Ingredients:
2 Mud Crabs (about 1.2 to 1.5 kg in total)
1 Stalk Spring Onion
2 Eggs
1 tbsp Corn Starch + 2 tbsp Water (mix well)
1 tbsp Maggie Extra Hot Chilli
1 tbsp Ketchup
1 tbsp Fish Sauce
1 tsp Salt
2 Cups of Chicken Stock

Chilli Paste (Blend all together):
2 Red Chilli
8 Bird Eye's Chilli
10 Stalk Dried Chilli (Soak in hot water and  drain first)
5 cm Old Ginger
2 Red Onions
10 Shallots
5 Garlic
Half a small Pineapple
2 Lemongrass













This is how the chilli paste looks like after blending!







Method:
  • Kill & clean crabs
  • Heat wok with 5 tbsp oil and add in the chilli paste and stir fry chilli till fragrant and oil appears on top with low-med fire.  Keep stirring to prevent it from burning!!
  • Add in Chicken Stock and let it boil
  • Add in Crab and stir well.  Cover with lid to simmer for 7 minutes
  • Open lid and stir well then add in fish sauce and corn starch mixture to thicken the sauce.
  • Switch off fire and pour in the eggs.
  • Garnish with spring onion and serve!
Usually people eat with deep fried buns if eating chilli crab but I have some milk toast bread left so I use it to dip the gravy and eat and it's heaven!!!

Cook's Note:
* You can adjust the level of chilli hotness base on your own taste.  The quantity I used are consider medium hot only!!

* You can also sprinkle some toasted grinded peanuts onto crab sauce before serving....it's nice..just that I can't find peanut today so I didn't use it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment