Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Under the Sea....Sweet & Sour Prawns

Seafood is so good if it's fresh!  I love seafood..especially crabs!!  Because I love to eat seafood, I pick up fishing as one of my hobby too!!  I'm one tough female angler...my record catch was a Thai Mekong Catfish fetching around 25 kg !!


I've ever followed sea gypsy out to experience their daily life!  Believe it or not...it's tough and they earn so little to feed a family of 8 to 10.  My legs were buried deep in the mud (but those are not dead sea mud) when we goes to catch mud crabs.  My 10 fingers were all poked with holes by the jumping prawns stuck on fishing net when we were racing with time to remove them from the net during low tide hours.  These experiences will never be forgotten by me!  I don't think many people will have the chance to do that.

OK let's get back to the cooking part!  Today I will share one quick and easy recipe with  you. 

Sweet & Sour Prawns

Ingredients (serve 4 pax):
500g Prawns (Grey Prawns preferred)
30g Minced Garlic
30g Minced Ginger
30g Minced Shallots
1 Red Chilli (remove seeds and dice finely)
2 stalks Spring Onion (dice)
2 Lime (squeeze out the juice to use)
1 tbsp Hua Tiao or Cooking Wine

Seasoning (mixed all together):
2 tbsp Thai Chilli Sauce, 1 tbsp Tomato Sauce, 2 tbsp Maggie Chilli Sauce, 1 tbsp Plum Sauce, 1/2 tsp White Pepper, 1/2 tbsp Sugar, 6 tbsp Water

Coating:
2 tbsp Corn Flour

  • Wash prawns, drip dry and trim head, legs and remove vein (keep the shell).
  • Add in corn flour and mix well.
  • Heat wok with about 10 tbsp oil and deep fry the prawns for about 45 seconds will do.  Remove and drain.
  • Heat wok with 2 tbsp oil again and add in ginger to stir fry few seconds then add in the shallot and stir fry till fragrant.
  • Now add in the garlic and dice chilli and stir well.
  • Add in 1/2 portion of spring onions first and then add in the fried prawns and stir fry well.  Add in the Hua Tiao or Cooking Wine now and stir well.
  • Pour in the seasoning and cook till water almost dry up in the wok.
  • Turn off fire and add in the lime juice.  Sprinkle balance dice spring onions on top and serve.

See, it's easy so I hope you can try it on your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment