Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sawadee Kaa...Chan Gin Tom Yam Goong Kaa

Ha ha ha....you must be wondering what is this all about right?
Direct translation = Hello, I'm eating Tom Yam Prawn Soup

I first learned to cook Tom Yam Soup from a Thai Taxi Driver's wife in Bangkok few years back.  He heard we looking for places to fish (we went to Bangkok for fishing) so brought us back to his village.  He said there's a place with lots of fishes so we decided to explore.  I got a shock at his so-called fishing place...it's actually just a drain that the villages dig that link to a nearby river!  Knowing that it's definitely a waste of time to fish there, I uses sign language to tell him that I'm interested to learn Thai cooking.  Once they understood my intention, His wife took me to their local wet market in a bike to get ingredients to cook some simple home cooked Thai dishes.  I saw crabs at the market and decided to show off our famous chilli crab to them so also brought all the necessary ingredients I can find there (seems like a cooking exchange program that day).  We seated on the wooden planks floor of a high-rise wooden kampong house and enjoyed a wonderful dinner.

Recently, my guy have been busying learning to speak Thai so I also take the chance to go learn some Thai dishes too ha!  Besides the one time eventful chance of going to the Thai Taxi Driver house, we get to know another Thai friend (our fishing kaki) and since then we kept in touch occasionally and we sure meet up whenever we go to Thailand.


I think it's good that my guy impressed them with his Thai language and I hope next time when I go Bangkok, I can impress them with my Thai cooking skills hee.

Today let's learn the signature dish....Tom Yam Goong!

Ingredients (recipe serves 4 pax):
1000ml Water
250ml Evaporated Milk
8 Slices Galangal
Kaffir Lime Leave (Remove the stem)
3 Stalks Lemongrass (cut into 2 pieces every stalk and flatten with chopper)
500g Medium Grey Prawns
100g Oyster Mushroom
100g Baby Corn
15 Bird Eye's Chilli (put it in a plastic bag and use your knife to smash it)
3 Bunch of Coriander Leaves (Cut into 1 cm length)
3 Coriander Root (cut from the Coriander Leaves, scrap clean and flatten with chopper)
5 Garlic (remove skin and smash it)
5 Shallots (remove skin and smash it)
2 Chicken Cubes
3 tbsp Lime Juice from Green Lime
2 tbsp Fish Sauce
3 tbsp Chilli Paste (buy Tom Yam Paste Chilli from Supermarket - too troublesome to teach you to cook the Chilli on your own and you will have very oily kitchen after frying the chilli so let's cook smart!!)

  • Boil water and add in chicken cubes, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, coriander roots, lemongrass, garlic and shallots for 10 minutes.
  • Add in the chilli paste and simmer for another 5 minutes.
  • Add in the Baby Corn, Abalone Mushroom and prawns and boil for another 2 minutes.
  • Pour in the Evaporated milk and add in the Bird Eye's Chilli and cook for another minute.
  • Turn off the fire and add in fish sauce and lime juice.
  • Serve and garnish with Coriander leaves before serving.
Done!!  Tasty and spicy Tom Yam Goong is ready to be served.


No comments:

Post a Comment