Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lor Bak (Braised Pork Belly)

Recently, I was invited by a friend to her house for Chinese New Year gathering and luncheon.  We were inpressed by her Lor Bak and ate almost one whole plate of it.  I recalled that my mum used to cook very nice Lor Bak when I was young.  I could eat many bowl of rice with just the sauce and not the pork!! 

Today I decided to try and find the long lost taste of Mum's Lor Bak and I should say I would have do her proud ha ha....my Lor Bak melts in my mouth and I love the sauce to go with rice!

Ingredients:
1 kg Pork Belly (about 4 strips)
1.5 litre Water
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Fish Sauce
1 tsp Five Spice Powder
1 + 5 tbsp Supreme Thick Dark Soya Sauce
1 tbsp Light Soya Sauce
1 tsp Sea Salt
2 Cinnamon Barks
2 Star Anise
1 Slice Ginger
2 Cloves
6 Garlic
  • Blench Pork in boiling water for 5 mins and remove then rinse clean with running water and drain.
  • Marinate Pork with Five Spice Powder, 1 tbsp Dark Soya Sauce and leave aside.
  • Heat wok with water and bring to boil.  Add in all the balance seasoning/ingredients (except pork) and mix well and bring to boil again.
  • Add in pork belly and reduce heat to low and cook for about an hour.  Turning the pork belly over every 15 minutes till done.  By then, sauce should be thick and left about just 1/5 of it.
  • Cut braised pork belly and serve with hot rice or porridge.
Additional tips:  I love braised eggs too so I cooked a few hard boiled egg and add into the wok when pork was almost ready! 

Hope you find the time and try it out!!  But better watch out if you are on diet ha..as you will sure eat more than 1 bowl of rice with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment